Base Rocky 9 Linux Install
BY LARRY APOLONIO · April 1, 2023
Original Document was created April 1, 2023
If you want to build a system like the ones I use in my lab, use the Rocky-9.1-x86_64-dvd.iso, and do a server build. I do not normally do a DVD, I use kickstart from either a custom USB (I got those for sale) or a network boot using PXE(That is covered in another document), but these instructions get you close.
This section doesn’t get you there quicker but goes through essentially what is below it but without some description and the screen shots. So if you were printing something out to follow, save a tree and print the first page or two of this document.
- Boot from the DVD and select Install Rocky 9
- On the Welcome to Rocky Linux 9 screen select English/English(United States) and click continue
- On the Installation Summary screen, do the network & hostname settings first, depending on your screen, you may need to scroll down to get to it.
- The reason you need to set networking up first is because DATE and TIME will not have NTP available.
- For the Software Installation, for the Base Environment select Server (no GUI)
- For the Add-Ons for the Selected Environment Select
• Console Internet Tools
• Headless Management
• System Tools
- For the Installation Destination, select the hard disk you want installed and Automatic configure partitioning.
- When all the orange warnings are gone, you can click begin installation
- It will begin installing, while it is doing that, set the root password and create an admin user account.
- Wait, the indicator line moves quickly at first, but it slows down at the end.
- When Done you can click Reboot
- After a reboot, log in as root
- Download the list of packages to install with the following command (note the two dashes)
- Install those packages using the following command, from the DVD (no updates)
dnf -y install $(cat server91.txt)
- Disable selinux editing /etc/selinux/config and changing